Works by Associate Professor Ray Lovett (Current at January 2018)
Peer reviewed articles
Lovett, R., Thurber, K., Raglan Maddox, R. (2017). The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander smoking epidemic: what stage are we at, and what does it mean? Public Health Research and Practice. doi.org/10.17061/phrp2741733
Lokuge. K., Thurber, K., Calabria, B., Davis, M., Sartor, L., Lovett, R., Guthrie, J., Banks, E. (2017). Indigenous health program evaluation design and methods in Australia: a systematic review of the evidence. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12704
Wright, A., Lovett, R., Roe, Y., Richardson, A. (2017). Enhancing national data to align with policy objectives: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander smoking prevalence at finer geographic levels. Australian Health Review. doi: 10.1071/AH16269
Thurber, K., Banwell, C., Neeman, T., Dobbins, T., Pescud, M., Lovett, R., Banks, E. (2017). Understanding barriers to fruit and vegetable intake in the Australian Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children: A mixed methods approach. Public Health Nutrition, 20(5), 832-847. doi: 10.1017/S136898001600301
Ring, I., Dixon, T., Lovett, R., Al-Yaman, F. (2016). Are Indigenous mortality gaps closing: how to tell, and when? The Medical Journal of Australia, 205(1), 11. doi: 10.5694/mja16.00185
Olsen, A., Lovett, R. (2016). Compass: Research to policy and practice. Existing knowledge, practice and responses to violence against women in Australian Indigenous communities: Key findings and future directions. Issue 1, January 2016. ISSN: 2204-9622 (print) 2204-9630 (online). Sydney: ANROWS.
Olsen, A., Lovett, R. (2016). Existing knowledge, practice and responses to violence against women in Australian Indigenous communities: State of knowledge paper. ISSN: 2204-9657 9 (print), 2204-9665 (online). Sydney: ANROWS.
Maddox, R., Durkin, S., Lovett, R. (2015). Plain packaging implementation: perceptions of risk and prestige of cigarette brands among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health online. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12489
Maddox, R., Davey, R., Cochrane, T., Corbett, J., Lovett, R., & Van der Sterren, A. (2015). The Smoke Ring: A Mixed Method Study. The International Journal of Health, Wellness and Society, 5(2), 55-68.
Lovett, R., Dance, P., Guthrie, J., Brown, R., Tongs, J. (2014). Walan Girri: developing a model of culturally mediated case management model for problematic alcohol use among urban Indigenous people. Australian Health Review, 38(4), 440-446. doi: 10.1071/AH13148
Maddox, R., Davey, R., Lovett, R., Van der Sterren, A., Corbett, J., Cochrane, T. (2014). A systematic review protocol: social network analysis of tobacco use. Systematic Reviews, 3(1), 85. doi: 10.1186/2046-4053-3-85
Fforde, C., Bamblett, L., Lovett, R., Gorringe, S., Fogarty, B. (2013). Discourse, deficit and identity: Aboriginality, the race paradigm and the language of representation in contemporary Australia. Media International Australia, 149, 162-173. doi: 10.1177/1329878X1314900117
Maddox, R., Davey, R., Cochrane, T., Lovett, R., Van der Sterren, A. (2013). Study protocol - Indigenous Australian social networks and the impact on smoking policy and programs in Australia: protocol for a mixed-method prospective study. BMC Public Health, 13:879. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-879
Lovett, R., Fowlie, C., Barker, J., & Bode, A. (2011). Reducing the burdens of harm through a collaborative workplace tobacco management approach with the non-government alcohol and other drug, mental health and youth sectors in the ACT. Drug and Alcohol Review, 30, 56-56.
Guthrie, J., Lovett, R., Dance, P., Ritchie, C., Tongs, J. (2010). ‘Where’s your country?’ New approaches for working with problematic alcohol use among Indigenous Australians in an urban setting. Australian Aboriginal Studies, 2010(1).
Flegg, K., Phillips, C., Collins, A., Sharp, P., Kanagasundaram, M., Lovett, R., Kljakovic, M. (2010). Health service attendance patterns in an urban Aboriginal health service. Medical Journal of Australia, 193(3), 146-148.
Kehoe, H., & Lovett, R. (2008). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health assessments - barriers to improving uptake. Australian Family Physician, 37(12), 1033-1038.
Lovett, R., Fisher, J., Al-Yaman, F., Dance, P., & Vally, H. (2008). A review of Australian health privacy regulation regarding the use and disclosure of identified data to conduct data linkage. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 32(3), 282-285.
Books and book chapters
- Lovett, R., & Thurber, K. (2017). Health conditions and health service utilisation among children in LSIC. Indigenous Children Growing Up Strong (pp. 209-231). United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lovett, R. (2017). Indigenous Children’s Resilience: The role of demographics, relationships, achievement and culture. Indigenous Children Growing Up Strong (pp. 287-308). United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lovett, R. (2016). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community wellbeing: identified needs for statistical capacity. In T. Kukutai and J. Taylor (Eds), Indigenous Data Sovereignty: Toward an agenda, (pp. 213-232). Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research.
- Lovett, R. (2014). A history of health services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. In O. Best & B. Fredericks (Eds), Yatjuligin: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing & Midwifery Care (pp. 31-48). Port Melbourne: Cambridge.
- Lovett, R., Schirmer, J., Thurber, K., Chapman, J., Coleman, C. (2017). Caring for country and wellbeing: views, values, and experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders living in the Murray Local Land Services region.
- Lovett, R., Guthrie, M. (2013). Evaluation of the National Health and Medical Research Council documents: Guidelines for ethical conduct in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research 2004 (Values and Ethics) and Keeping Research on Track: a guide for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples about health research ethics 2005.
- Lovett, R., Guthrie, M., Gilbert, R., Sneidjer, M. (2013). Researching right way, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health research ethics: a domestic and international review.
- Lovett, R., Dance, P., Guthrie, J., Thurber, K., in Biven, A., & MacQueen, R. (2012). Review of the need to expand drug and alcohol rehabilitation services in the ACT: Consumer feedback study.
- Lovett, R. (2011). Workplace Tobacco Management Project: Research Findings (Evaluation Report). Canberra: Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT (ATODA).
- Lovett, R. (2010). ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Tobacco Control Strategy 2010-2014.